Chicago Marathon

Chicago Marathon
Nearly Six hours later!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hooray! I did it!

So it is finished! All that I worked so hard for, for weeks and weeks. I gotta say, it was awesome!

The race began at 730 am with 40,000 runners lined (wadded) up waiting for the starting gun...It took me nearly 30 minutes to cross the START line. And then we were off! I started the race with my friend, Abby, and her friend, Betty. Betty had suffered an automobile injury which impeded her training, and before long, Abby and I were running without her. It was cool and shady for a while and Abby and I did well together. About mile 11, though, she began experiencing nausea and needed to slow down. I put my headphones on and waved goodbye to her. Off I went alone. From that point on, it was mind over matter.

I had been watching the weather for a few weeks before the marathon and it looked like it would be wonderfully chilly. Uhh. NO. The day started out at 58 degrees and the first half of the race was in the shade. The temperature rose quickly, though, and the course became completely sunny for the last 13 miles. At one point I saw a temperature sign that read 87 degrees. Geez. Not at all what I had hoped for.

The crowd support was amazing from mile 1 all the way through to the finish. Wow. I was absolutely amazed. There were people lined up on the street 4 and 5 deep the whole 26.2 miles. I had written my name quite boldly on both of my arms, so I had many people shouting encouragement to me by name throughout the race. It is amazing how much that helped. As the day wore on and temperatures got hotter, the spectators got more and more encouraging. At about mile 18 or so, people started putting their garden hoses and sprinklers out in the street and offering cooling showers to the runners going by. At several points, fire hydrants had been fitted with hoses and were spraying in arcs over the street. These were welcome showers, believe me. Best of all, though was when the nicest people of all started coming out into the street to offer runners handfuls of ice. It was SO great!

I saw some great tshirts along the way. My favorite was the one that said, " 18 weeks ago this seemed like a great idea!" I had to agree! It is very inspiring, though, seeing people of all shapes and sizes running the marathon for various causes from cancer research to alzheimers support groups to fundraisers for the humane society. There are also many great costumes and crazy getups worn in the race. There were many tutus and crowns worn, many marines in full uniform, jugglers and the Eiffel Tower. Yup, I crossed the finish line with someone carrying an Eiffel Tower. Go Figure...

The race kind of went by in a blur, but I remember commenting to myself at about mile 22 that this is when the real race began. It was at this point that I had to dig deeper than ever before to find the will to keep on going. I got to see my whole family at mile 25 and it was so great to see them cheering for me. It gave me the strength to keep going til the end. I finally did finish the race in 5 hours and 46 minutes and 2 seconds. I had hoped for less than that ( remember that secret goal). I am really pleased, though, given the incredible heat.

October 10, 2010 is a day that I will always remember. I committed to run this crazy race and worked my butt off to accomplish it. It was one of the best and worst days of my life. One I wouldn't trade for anything! I think it is only fitting that I change the title of my blog, don't you?

JULIE RAN A MARATHON!

No comments:

Post a Comment