Chicago Marathon

Chicago Marathon
Nearly Six hours later!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other...

That was great advice from my friend Paul Duckett (former YMCA downtown running group coach). He told me that several years ago when I first started running and it has kept me going through some tough runs. This morning's run was very tough. Six miles on the beach. I repeated that mantra, counted to 1000, prayed for clouds, bribed myself to just run to the lifeguard chair, etc etc...

I only ran 6 miles, but having slept in, had to run at 10 am. Geez, it was hot. I won't do that again! At first I was running into the wind, so I thought that I would have a nice tailwind coming back. NOPE. It was just hotter. But, I made it through - so another training run down, 10 weeks of them to go...

More and more, I find myself believing I can run a marathon. I hope I am right! This week's long run will be 16 miles. We start at 430 am. I am guessing it will take around 4 hours - with the frequent water breaks and bathroom stops. Last week's 14 mile run was 3 hours and 44 minutes with all the stops. We keep these runs on the slow side - with the heat.

I am starting to consider ( obsess) what sort of time I might be able to run the marathon in. In my dreams, I would do a sub 5 hour marathon. I can't even to begin to believe I could pull that off, though. My running mentor tells me that after Saturday's run, I should be able to calculate a pretty accurate estimate of what to expect. I will post about that this weekend.

Off to the beach...

No comments:

Post a Comment